Translate

Sunday 6 March 2022

Bredbury TV Scramble

In the early 1960s Motor Cycle Scrambling was frequently shown on the television at weekends, and occasionally I would go along and watch if it was somewhere local. I came across this programme recently of a meeting held in Bredbury on 4 March 1962 where I took one or two photographs.

This is Dave Bickers who was one of the top riders in the early 1960s, winning the 250cc European Motocross Championships in 1960 and 1961, and was a member of the British teams that won the Trophée des Nations event in 1961 and 1962. He was also a member of the teams that won the Motocross des Nations in 1966 and 1967. He's riding a 250cc Greeves.

I'm not sure who this is, but it may be Jeff Smith, who won the 
500cc Motocross World Championship in 1964 and 1965. If it is Jeff Smith he's riding a 250cc Dot.

1 comment:

  1. As kids we used to ride our bikes at Ashton road pretending to be moto crossers we would go home for a bollocking for being covered in mud and cuts and bruises,with torn clothes,I knocked myself out one day being a bit ambitious emulating Dave Bickers there was a steep drop off and it dropped me off for certain,there used to be WW2 brick and concrete shelters they were. Always flooded.and smelt of wee.I think it was something to do with tanks in the war it was also known locally as the Gun Pits

    ReplyDelete