Translate

Wednesday 1 October 2014

East Midland Aeropark

It's been several years since I paid a visit to the Donington Collection at the Donington Park racing circuit and I'd been promising myself for some months that I'd go there again. I found out recently that there's a collection of aircraft on display at the East Midland Aeropark viewing area so I decided a last week to make the effort and visit the Aeropark as well as the car museum. I went on Wednesday and first went to Donington Park where I spent a couple of hours going round the Donington Collection. The photograph below shows the display of McLaren F1 cars there and I'll show more of the photographs I took there some time in the future.
After I left there I drove the two minute journey just round the corner to the Aeropark to find it..........closed. It's my own fault for not checking before I went, but even in the summer (1st May to 30th September) it only opens Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. From October to April it only opens at weekends. Fortunately from the car park at the front of the Aeropark there's a footpath through a wooded area running round the side of the site and I managed to get a few photographs of some of the aircraft from there.
Avro Vulcan B.2A XM575 and behind it a BAe Nimrod R1 XW664
Vickers Varsity T.1 WL626 and the Vulcan & Nimrod behind it
English Electric Lightning F.Mk53 ZF588 with a glimpse of a Hawker Hunter behind it
Hawker Hunter FR.10 XJ714, Westland Wessex HC.2 XT604 & Westland Whirlwind HAR.3 XG588 to the left, There's an Armstrong Whitworth Argosy immediately behind, and the nose of the English Electric Lightning to the right.
Hawker Hunter T.7 XL569 with a Blackburn Buccaneer to the left and the Westland Wessex & Westland Whirlwind to the right.
Blackburn Buccaneer S.2B XV350 with a Morane-Saulnier Rallye MS880 to the right
The Morane-Saulnier MS880 G-BBED with the Buccaneer to the left, Hawker Hunter XL569 to the right and Argosy behind.
Armstrong Whitworth Argosy G-BEOZ with the Vulcan behind it and Hawker Hunter XJ714 at front left.
Hawker Hunter FR.10 XJ714 with the Argosy in the background
English Electric Lightning F.Mk53 ZF588 with the Argosy to the left and the front section of Vickers VC10 XV108 to the right.

Here is a view of the Aeropark, courtesy of Google Earth

No comments:

Post a Comment