Translate

Wednesday 1 January 2014

New Year's Day

Happy New Year to everyone!

When I first started work in 1960 New Year's Day most people worked on that day as it wasn't a Bank Holiday in England, although it was in Scotland. In Scotland New Year's Day has been a Bank Holiday since the Bank Holiday Act of 1871, and January 2nd was also made a Bank Holiday in 1974. So New Year has always been much more of a festive occasion in Scotland than in England.

I've spent several holidays in Scotland and in August 1996 we had a short holiday there, staying at Cleish near Edinburgh. Below is a drawing of Edinburgh Castle seen from The Grassmarket that we bought in Edinburgh that week.
If I remember correctly the drawing was done by a student at one of the Universities in Edinburgh who, as this paper attached to the back of the drawing says, was named Tan Jia En.
I didn't take a photograph from that point but below is a photograph I took from Castle Street which is just about opposite The Grassmarket on the other side of the castle.

And this is a photograph taken from almost the same place in 1963

Incidentally, my job when I started work was in the Civil Service and as well as the Christmas Day and Boxing Day holidays we had an extra day's leave which we could take on either Christmas Eve or the day after Boxing Day. A few years after I'd started work New Year's Day became one of the optional days Civil Servants could take at Christmas and was then made a Bank Holiday in England in 1974.

No comments:

Post a Comment