Translate

Monday 4 February 2013

Sadler Sports Cars

The Sadler was a sports car designed and built by Canadian born Bill Sadler in the 1950s. This is the Sadler MkIII of Julian Majzub pictured in the paddock at Oulton Park after winning the Hawthorn International Trophy race at the Hawthorn Memorial Trophies race meeting organised by the VSCC at Oulton Park in June 2008.
And here is Julian Majzub pictured at Britten's Chicane during his victorious drive.
I remember what was probably the first occasion on which a Sadler participated in a race at Oulton Park, in the late 1950s I think, although my memory doesn't tell me which meeting it was or the date. I seem to recall that it was a club meeting, either the Mid-Cheshire Motor Racing Club or the Lancashire and Cheshire Car Club, and was probably in 1957. I took the grainy photograph below with my trusty Brownie 127 camera.
Judging by the information here it appears to be the original Sadler MkI, probably after the original Triumph TR2 engine had been replaced with a Chevrolet V8 engine.

1 comment:

  1. Bill Sadler himself drove the Mk III for us at Monterey as recently as 2002 I believe. Only since Julian has owned it have the exhaust pipes been hung outboard the body, probably necessary to avoid roasting the driver's shins. The Mk III was not as neat looking as the Mk II that was a little bigger but nearly as low built. I rode in that one listening for a rear axle noise for its owner, Wes Abendroth.

    ReplyDelete