Translate

Monday 26 August 2024

1955 Lotus Mk VI

All the Lotus cars prior to the Lotus Mk VI were "one-off" models, but the Mk VI was the first "production" model, about 100 being built between 1953 and 1957. Here is one that I photographed at the Coys International Historic Festival meeting at Silverstone  in July 2000.
It didn't take part in any of the races, but I have a photograph that I took at an HSCC meeting at Oulton Park in 1992 where it was driven in one of the races by Chris Smith. The Mk VI was generally sold as a kit car into which the owner would fit his preferred engine, usually a Ford, MG or Coventry Climax unit. The DVLA record says that this car has a 1350cc engine and I don't know if I've remembered this correctly, but I seem to recall that the bulge on the bonnet indicated an MG engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment