Translate

Thursday 30 July 2020

1939 Maserati 4CL

I took these photographs at the Aston Martin Owners Club's meeting at Oulton Park in September 1986.
The programme of the event shows car number 44 to be the blue 1952 Ferrari 500/625 of Kerry Wilson which the car pictured above quite obviously isn't. Below is a photograph of the car I took at Lodge Corner during the Historic Car Championship race.
It certainly seems to be Kerry Wilson behind the wheel, but it's a Maserati and as far as I can tell a 1939 4CL. The Maserati 4CL has a 4-cylinder inline 1,491cc engine with twin-stage supercharger and was introduced in 1939 to compete in the voiturette class of racing. The 1939 season was curtailed by the Second World War but when racing restarted after the war it gave a good account of itself alongside the Alfa Romeo 158.

4 comments:

  1. Yes it is me Kerry Wilson. I competed in this car ans Talbot Lago at UK circuits plus Zandvoort and many Nurburing's

    ReplyDelete
  2. should read and Talbot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I was in the driving seat. Lucky to compete in this car and Talbot Lago, Ferrari 625. loads of fun for 15 years.

    ReplyDelete