Translate

Sunday 24 March 2013

Bluebird at Belle Vue, Manchester

From 23 August to 11 September 1965 Donald Campbell's land-speed record and water-speed record breaking Bluebird vehicles, together with his father Sir Malcolm Campbell's land-speed record breaking Sunbeam of 1924 and 1925, were on display at Belle Vue, Manchester. I still have the 'souvenir programme' of the occasion and you can see what it had to say below:












The exhibition was one of a series of six around the country and the transport firm Robert Walker (Haulage) Ltd were contracted to move the vehicles around from one venue to another, and their account of the problems encountered during this undertaking is here.

I remember that there wasn't much space available in what Walker's say was the old lion house at Belle Vue Zoo and the only photograph which I managed to take - it's out of focus and the colour transparency has deteriorated somewhat over the years - is below.


1 comment:

  1. I remember visiting the display with my dad. I had my photo taken by a magazine/newspaper photographer looking into the cockpit. I would love to obtain a copy of that photo but after all these years I doubt that will happen. Strange how certain moments of the past stay with you.

    ReplyDelete